Chamaedorea palm is one of the most widely used indoor gardenings for bright interiors. Handsome, arching, green pinnate leaves, with 12 or more pairs of narrow leaflets per leaf, lend a tropical flair to indoor locations. This palm is a small, compact, usually single-trunked palm.
Clusters of yellow flowers in loose spirals may bloom in spring if enough light is present. Plants are dioecious. Leaves 5-8, spreading, pinnate; sheath 8-20 cm long, very obliquely open nearly to the base and tubular only in lower 1/3, short ligule apically on either side of the petiole.
||18 inch (46 cm)
||6 inch (15 cm)
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||Parlor palm, Neanthe bella palm
|Maximum Reachable Height
||Up to 6 feet
Planting And Care
Refer our Garden Guide for detailed procedures and meanings of words related to gardening.
- Keep the plant in partial sunlight area.
- Also, keep the plant indoor condition where the 2 to 3 hours of sunlight is available, just avoid the darken area.
- Use nutrient rich, well drained, well aereted, and porous potting mix.
- Water a plant when the topsoil in pot (5 to 8 cm) feels dry to touch.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering for the winter & rainy season.
- Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10 am.
- Application of Fertilizer:
- Apply fertilize a plant mostly in the spring and early monsoon season.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots to the plant can easily uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days then move the plant to its required light condition.
- For re-potting procedure click here
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Chamaedorea Elegans Care
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
- Do not overwater suddenly, check the moisture in the soil first. If too dry then apply water gradually.
- Keep the plant in indirect bright light. Gradually move it to more bright location.
- Do not re-pot immediately after receiving it.
- Key requirements to keep plant healthy:
||Full to partial sunlight
||Nutrient-rich loamy soil
||20 to 35 degree Celsius
||Apply organic fertilizer